In a world where junk food tends to reign supreme and every town and city has fast-food chains smacked on virtually every corner, it can be difficult to implement certain food and drink into your diet which keeps your body and mind happy and healthy. The correlation between sluggishness both cognitively and physically in relation to bad diets is overwhelming and an increasingly troubled public becomes somewhat at a loss when trying to figure out how to implement beneficial foods into their diets. Luckily, we have compiled a list of five super foods which will help boost your physical well-being and at the very least counter some of the toxins that enter the body (often without our knowing!)
- Goji Berries: These little red berries that taste like raisins are one of the ultimate super foods. High in antioxidants, possible cancer-prevention, improving blood sugar levels and possessing anti-ageing benefits, rumour has it that a handful of these berries a day helped a man in China live to 249 years of age! (Whether there is truth in that remains to be seen, but one thing we do know for sure is that these little berries have a whopping amount of health power in them and will certainly benefit anyone who adds them as a staple part of the diet.)
- Dandelion Tea: Particularly beneficial for those who suffer from liver problems or who have a predisposition towards alcohol, dandelion root tea flushes out toxins which damage the liver and helps keep it healthy and functioning. It also contains potent antioxidants which likewise keep all the organs at their best.
- Shelled Hemp Seeds: The benefits of shelled hemp seeds are enormous. They are an excellent source of protein and may reduce the risk of heart disease. And for those women who suffer from PMS symptoms, it can be an excellent relief. Sprinkle over soups or pastas as an added tasty addition with all the heart-healthy benefits included!
- Quinoa: Quinoa is an excellent rice substitute and was known as the “food of the Gods” among the Aztecs. It is very high in protein with essential amino acids and also high in fibre, something that many people do not get enough of in their diet. Cook it just the same as you would cook rice, throw in a bit of garlic and there you have it, a delicious dish which is both tasty and nutritious in equal measure!
- Last but by no means least we have apple cider vinegar with the mother (yes, the last bit is a bit odd for newbies who might stand there, befuddled for a few minutes, before realising the ‘mother’ is actually strands of proteins and friendly bacteria which makes this vinegar particularly special. Taking a teaspoon of this in water three times a day before meals helps reduce the dreaded belly fat, which is not only displeasing aesthetically, but also helps contribute towards a wealth of health problems in the long run, the visceral fat which wraps itself around the organs, suffocating and destroying them over a gruelling period of time. It also reportedly helps with lowering cholesterol and boosting energy.
There are the five super-foods that can help contribute to a happy, healthy mind and body. Remember, your body needs looking after just as much as you do – feed it with these super-foods and watch it thank you!